Posts by Vijay:
- Mt. Everest is 29,035 ft. high, which is 8848 mts.
- Ever wonder how old is Mt. Everest? Yes! It's over 60 millions years old.
- The summit is the border of Nepal to the south and China or Tibet on the north.
- Everest was formed by the movement of the Indian tectonic plane pushing up and against the Asian plate.
- Everest grows by about a quarter of an inch every year.
- It contains different types of shale, limestone and marble.
- The temperature can go as low as -80F.
- As per the statistics of June 2016, there have been 7,646 summits of Everest on all 18 different routes by 4,469 different people.
First Official Ascent Of Everest
It has been 64 years today since Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay created history as the first official ascent of Everest in 1953.
Both the men have dreamt about it for years and managed to climb the world's highest mountain in seven weeks.
It's official that New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Nepalese Tenzing Norgay created history at 11:30 a.m. on May 29, 1953. They were the first people to ever reach the summit of Mount Everest.
Off the record, according to Tenzing Norgay it was Sir Edmund Hillary who reached the summit first.
Before this successful summit, in 1924 George Mallory and Andrew Irvine made a final summit attempt on June 8 but sadly, they never returned.